Monday, February 18, 2008

From awesome-est to lousy in less than a day

Remember when I told you I was the most awesome-est wife ever? Well, I was mistaken. Very sorely mistaken. Because the most awesome-est wife ever wouldn't leave her two year old to play in the shower when she got out, whereupon he would plug the drain with a washcloth in order to make a pool for himself. Would she now? No. The answer is a big fat NO. The most awesome-est wife ever wouldn't do that. I suck.
So there I was, sitting at the computer while the bathroom, and then the walk-in closet, was flooding. Flooding to the point where it seeped through the floor boards in the closet and started to drain into the vent and leak into the dining room downstairs. The dining room with my new wood floors. That aren't supposed to get wet.
So I'm sitting here relaxing and listening to the water run in the bathroom, blissfully unaware that anything of that nature was going on, when I hear Dario frantically screaming at me from downstairs. He's screaming at me to shut of the water and get towels. ALL of the towels!
Needless to say, we had a little situation on our hands. The carpet and padding in the closet were sopping wet. We had to clear everything out of the closet,rip up the carpet, and remove the padding. Then I called a ton of water restoration places and got quotes to dry it all out. The damage? $625. And that's after taking the lowest quote and talking another guy down based on that. And, we have to listen to these huge fans blowing for 3 days probably.
And that, my friends, is not very awesome.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

So sad! I am so sorry...

meleah said...

Oh no!! That sounds like something I would do!

Robin said...

What a price to pay for not supervising your kids CONSTANTLY! At least it didn't involve other messy things that kids sometimes get involved with. You know what I'm talking about. It could have been worse. Good luck!

Kimberly said...

You're still an awesome wife, just a little bit more broke! So sorry about that one. It reminds me of a time or two of my own "not-so-awesome wife" experiences. You're not alone!!

Jessica said...

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened! Did you take a picture so that maybe in a few years you can look back and laugh?

Sheyenne said...

Hey Jessica. Glad you found my blog. No, I didn't take pictures. I was too busy frantically running around trying to soak up the mess. Besides, I don't want any photographic evidence of my mistakes! Now, if it had been my husband's fault....