Saturday, November 24, 2007

Mass Christmas Letter? check




We're traveling for Christmas this year so I have been in a frenzy trying to get all the things on my list checked off so we can be ready to go on the 17th.

  1. shopping for gifts, check

  2. buy a gift for the gift-exchange at a party I'm attending, check

  3. put up decorations, check

  4. assembled the tree (actually I delegated that to my husband), check (fake tree, save the Earth people!!)

  5. addressed all the Christmas card envelopes, check

  6. write the year-end-what's-been-happening-in-our-family-I-don't-have-the-time-to-tell-you-all-individually letter, check


Regarding #6, I know that much fun is made of these types of mass mailings at Christmas-time, but I actually really enjoy getting the letters and hearing about what's happening in others' lives. Makes me feel like I kind-of still know these people who I only speak to once a year via Christmas card. And I hope that by reading our letters they'll feel like they kind-of still know us too. I'm sentimental like that.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I hear that fake trees really aren't the "greenest" way to go these days. I think I read somewhere that the new "green" way is to actually plant a tree that you will water and nourish all year long. And you will actually decorate this tree during the holidays. Come on, Sheyenne, get with the times! ;)

P.S. I was pleasantly surprised that your new gravy boat is not in the shape of a toilet.

Robin said...

I almost forgot the whole point of my comment... I love getting these mass Christmas letters, too. And I even love rummaging through the ones that sit out at my parents' or in-laws' house. Even if I don't know these people, who cares? It is kind of like reading random blogs of people I don't know, and that is FUN!

Jules said...

I am totally with you on having all of this stuff done! Except I wimped out and we didn't put up our Christmas tree this year under the justification that we are also leaving on the 16th and won't be around for Christmas. You must be better than us (especially with the high class gravy boat). And I also love holiday letters, but I haven't decided if I am going to type one up to throw in our cards or not, so they sit unsealed in limbo right now.